In the heart of Florence since 1733

Our History...

Gilli is the oldest café in the city of Florence.

Established by a Swiss family in Medici-era Florence, it started as a pastry shop steps away from the Duomo.

Between 1810 and 1815, the actual cafés in Florence were around 20. That intense activity contributed to the extraordinary liveliness trade in the area.
It was a city lounge, where a sort of “good taste” aristocracy stood out.

1843

Gilli, in addition to Via degli Speziali store, bought a shop portion in Via Calzaiuoli, allowing to produce and sell its pastry on the most important wordly life street of Florence.

• The historic Luigi Gilli shop in Via Calzaioli •

1917

Gilli took the step that would launch it into the modern era, moving to its final and current location in Piazza della Repubblica – before Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, becoming the favourite social and cultural meeting place.

• Piazza della Repubblica •

The only example of Florentine Liberty-style café, it is a mandatory stop for both locals and tourists, all of whom appreciate its characteristic appeal and historic value.

• A cake representing the baptistery •

2020

• Caffè Gilli today •

Always known as an elegant stage and city lounge in the 1900s Caffè Gilli served as a meeting place for famous writers, intellectuals, and artists, today is the beating heart of a modern metropolitan city.